Data Security Podcast Episode 66, Aug 17 2009
30 minutes every week on data security, privacy, and the law….(plus or minus five)
On this week’s program:
* Like stealing candy from a baby….is Adobe making it that easy for attackers to get into computers?
* The Clampi Trojan is cleaning out bank accounts, and AV usually doesn’t see it.
* Researcher says that Palm is acting like Big Brother, tracking its users.
* Our take on this week’s news.
–> Stream This Week’s Show with our Built-In Flash Player:
–> Scroll down to see links and show notes for this week’s show
–> Stream, subscribe or download Episode 66 – Listen or subscribe to the feed to automatically get the latest episode sent to you to your Google, Yahoo, iTunes, or other popular sites.
–>Tune into the show directly on iTunes, you can also subscribe to the program on iTunes.
–> A simple way to listen to the show from with stricter firewalls: Listen from Odeo. This site works better if you are behind a more restrictive enterprise firewall.
Please visit our sponsors, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast:
- Vipre Anti-Virus, the complete Antimalware solution by Sunbelt Software. If you TRY the enterprise version, you get the home version for FREE! Go to: http://www.testdrivevipre.com .
- GamaSec Web App Scans: Spots cyber-hazards on your web site, and has advanced zero-day protection. GET YOUR FREE BASIC WEB APP SCAN, plus a special offer just for listeners to The Data Security Podcast. Go here to sign up, and add the offer code: Podcast.
- SonicWall; Get the super fast UTM firewall that’s rated Five Stars (the Best rating) by Secure Computing Magazine. Data Clone Labs is the premier SonicWall Medallion Partner for all your security needs.
- DeviceLock; Software that controls, manages and helps encrypt USB drives and other removable media. Get a free trial on their site, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast.
Show Notes for Episode 66 of the Data Security Podcast
* Conversation: Ira talks with Joe Stewart. Technical Director of Malware Research at SecureWorks about the Clampi/Ligats/Ilomo Trojan. AV usually won’t see it, and targets bank account log-ins, insurance log-ins, and other log-ins that allow attackers to steal.
* Tales From The Dark Web: Security researchers at Trustee are claiming that attacks in the wild targeting unpatched Adobe Flash and Adobe PDF Reader are appearing. And Adobe is making the problem worse. Read the report, and then see what happens when you check the patch level of a system using Adobe’s own Flash version checker. This attack impacts Windows, Mac, Linux and Solaris usres.
*From the News: Sheriff’s Office explains why it took over county computers
*From the News: Fake Search Engines for Twitter, from Karthik at BlogrPro.
*From the News: Mac OS Trojan. Read the posting, and blacklist the .com domain names that are listed here.