Data Security Podcast Episode 83, Nov 30 2009
30 minutes every week on data security, privacy, and the law…..(plus or minus ten)
On this week’s program:
* New highly damaging attack plays on the very fear of being attacked
* Stopping insider attacks with the right internal controls
* Our take on this week’s news.
–> Stream This Week’s Show with our Built-In Flash Player:
–> Scroll down to see links and show notes for this week’s show
–> Stream, subscribe or download Episode 83 – Listen or subscribe to the feed to automatically get the latest episode sent to you to your Google, Yahoo, iTunes, or other popular sites.
–>Tune into the show directly on iTunes, you can also subscribe to the program on iTunes.
–> A simple way to listen to the show from with stricter firewalls: Listen from Odeo. This site works better if you are behind a more restrictive enterprise firewall.
Please visit our sponsors, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast:
- Vipre Anti-Virus, the complete Antimalware solution by Sunbelt Software. If you TRY the enterprise version, you get the home version for FREE! Go to: http://www.testdrivevipre.com .
- GamaSec Web App Scans: Spots cyber-hazards on your web site, and has advanced zero-day protection. GET YOUR FREE BASIC WEB APP SCAN, plus a special offer just for listeners to The Data Security Podcast. Go here to sign up, and add the offer code: Podcast.
- SonicWall; Get the super fast UTM firewall that’s rated Five Stars (the Best rating) by Secure Computing Magazine. Data Clone Labs is the premier SonicWall Medallion Partner for all your security needs.
- DeviceLock; Software that controls, manages and helps encrypt USB drives and other removable media. Get a free trial on their site, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast.
Show Notes for Episode 83 of the Data Security Podcast
* Ira has a conversation with Cheryl Traverse President/ Chief Executive Officer with Xceedium, a company that provides centralized, secure IT operations management. Ira and Cheryl talk about the controls that protect against insider threats, and help put organizations in compliance with data security and privacy mandates.
* Tales From The Dark Web: Bank attacks hides in ‘software update’ links. This attack combines the fear of not properly patching with attacks that empty business bank accounts. Hat tip to the story in Darkreading.com .
* From Out Take on The News: Reuters news story on the under-reporting of cyber attacks.
* From Our Take on The News: Las Vegas Metro Police admits to large databreach of background check data. Hat tip to excellent work by The Las Vegas Sun newspaper.
* From The Wrap: We comment on the news that the Ikee worm author gets job at iPhone app firm, as posted by Graham Cluley.