Data Security Podcast Episode 68, Sep 01 2009
30 minutes every week on data security, privacy, and the law…..(plus or minus five)
On this week’s program:
* New attacks against business bank accounts…. an earth-shaking recommendation from the banking industry.
* Hackers say they are gearing up for winter attacks – according to a survey of hackers at DefCon 2009.
* Our take on this week’s news.
–> Stream This Week’s Show with our Built-In Flash Player:
–> Scroll down to see links and show notes for this week’s show
–> Stream, subscribe or download Episode 68 – Listen or subscribe to the feed to automatically get the latest episode sent to you to your Google, Yahoo, iTunes, or other popular sites.
–>Tune into the show directly on iTunes, you can also subscribe to the program on iTunes.
–> A simple way to listen to the show from with stricter firewalls: Listen from Odeo. This site works better if you are behind a more restrictive enterprise firewall.
Please visit our sponsors, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast:
- Vipre Anti-Virus, the complete Antimalware solution by Sunbelt Software. If you TRY the enterprise version, you get the home version for FREE! Go to: http://www.testdrivevipre.com .
- GamaSec Web App Scans: Spots cyber-hazards on your web site, and has advanced zero-day protection. GET YOUR FREE BASIC WEB APP SCAN, plus a special offer just for listeners to The Data Security Podcast. Go here to sign up, and add the offer code: Podcast.
- SonicWall; Get the super fast UTM firewall that’s rated Five Stars (the Best rating) by Secure Computing Magazine. Data Clone Labs is the premier SonicWall Medallion Partner for all your security needs.
- DeviceLock; Software that controls, manages and helps encrypt USB drives and other removable media. Get a free trial on their site, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast.
Show Notes for Episode 68 of the Data Security Podcast
* Ira talks with Michael Hamel, Chief Security Architect, with Tufin Technologies, about the survey of hackers he crafted for DefCon 2009. We cover: Hackers Take a Break This Summer Before Winter Hacking Spike, and importantly, counter-measures to get prepared.
* Tales From The Dark Web: New attacks against business bank accounts…. an earth-shaking recommendation from the banking industry.
* From the News: WPA WiFi encryption can now be cracked in one minute, according to new research. Terms in the story:
WPA: Wi-Fi Protected Access
WPA -TKIP: WPA with Temporal Key Integrity Protocol for encryption
WPA-AES: WPA with Advanced Encryption Standard for encryption
WPA2: Second Generation WPA encryption
WEP: Wired Equivalent Privacy
Take-Away: WPA-TKIP and WEP is bad, um-kay? WPA-AES and WPA2 is good, um-kay?
* From the News: Federal Web Site Collects Data on Stimulus. We report: Whose minding the security of the data?
* From the News: Stealth-Laptop Bag
Wrap Up Story: Is Federal InfoSec License Key To ‘Net Control?