30 minutes every week on data security, privacy, and the law…..(plus or minus ten)
On this week’s program:
* Now the bad guys are holding computer files for ransom if you don’t buy their phony anti-virus software. We have a workaround.
* Midyear elections are coming up, and the last thing the campaigns seem to think about is data security.
* Our take on this week’s news.
–> Stream This Week’s Show with our Built-In Flash Player:
–> Scroll down to see links and show notes for this week’s show
–> Stream, subscribe or download Episode 74 – Listen or subscribe to the feed to automatically get the latest episode sent to you to your Google, Yahoo, iTunes, or other popular sites.
–>Tune into the show directly on iTunes, you can also subscribe to the program on iTunes.
–> A simple way to listen to the show from with stricter firewalls: Listen from Odeo. This site works better if you are behind a more restrictive enterprise firewall.
Please visit our sponsors, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast:
- Vipre Anti-Virus, the complete Antimalware solution by Sunbelt Software. If you TRY the enterprise version, you get the home version for FREE! Go to: http://www.testdrivevipre.com .
- GamaSec Web App Scans: Spots cyber-hazards on your web site, and has advanced zero-day protection. GET YOUR FREE BASIC WEB APP SCAN, plus a special offer just for listeners to The Data Security Podcast. Go here to sign up, and add the offer code: Podcast.
- SonicWall; Get the super fast UTM firewall that’s rated Five Stars (the Best rating) by Secure Computing Magazine. Data Clone Labs is the premier SonicWall Medallion Partner for all your security needs.
- DeviceLock; Software that controls, manages and helps encrypt USB drives and other removable media. Get a free trial on their site, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast.
Show Notes for Episode 74 of the Data Security Podcast
* Conversation: Ira talks with Gretchen Hellman, VP of Marketing for Vormetric about information security, the security issues with the new GOP web site, and election campaign security.
* Tales From The Dark Web: Watch the video by PandaSecurity that demonstrates a damaging new fake anti-virus that denies access to files and applications on victim systems unless a ransom is paid. The link below takes you to a video of the attack, and we have posted the keys to defeat the current variant of lock out. If you work in IT/InfoSec please write an email to users with a warning, include the keys to unlock the software, and have the end user re-image their hard drive.
Rogueware with new Ransomware Technology
Click here to view the Rogueware with new Ransomware Technology™ video. The video comes to us from Panda Security. Take note that the malware icon disappears from the computer, and when it does, the attack is in place. If you have a system that is infected with this attack, Panda has cracked the malware and has provided a list of working keys, which give access to the current variants of the TotalSecurity2009 attack:
* From Our Take on The News: Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Additional insiders have stepped forward to shed more light into Microsoft’s troubled acquisition of Danger, its beleaguered Pink Project, and what has become one of the most high profile Information Technology disasters in recent memory.