Data Security Podcast Episode 86, Dec 21 2009
30 minutes every week on data security, privacy, and the law…..(plus or minus ten)
On this week’s program:
* Twitter’s DNS hijacked
* Fingerprinting credit card mag strips
* Our take on this week’s news
–> Stream This Week’s Show with our Built-In Flash Player:
–> Scroll down to see links and show notes for this week’s show
–> Stream, subscribe or download Episode 86 – Listen or subscribe to the feed to automatically get the latest episode sent to you to your Google, Yahoo, iTunes, or other popular sites.
–>Tune into the show directly on iTunes, you can also subscribe to the program on iTunes.
–> A simple way to listen to the show from with stricter firewalls: Listen from Odeo. This site works better if you are behind a more restrictive enterprise firewall. The shows don’t always display on chronological order on Odeo.
Please visit our sponsors, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast:
- Award-winning Sunbelt Network Security Inspector a scalable and effective vulnerability scanner. Windows IT Pro Magazine readers chose SNSI as their Favorite Vulnerability Scanner for two years in a row. Read more here, and contact Data Clone Labs for a test drive .
- GamaSec Web App Scans: Spots cyber-hazards on your web site, and has advanced zero-day protection. GET YOUR FREE BASIC WEB APP SCAN, plus a special offer just for listeners to The Data Security Podcast. Go here to sign up, and add the offer code: Podcast.
- SonicWall; Get the super fast UTM firewall that’s rated Five Stars (the Best rating) by Secure Computing Magazine. Data Clone Labs is the premier SonicWall Medallion Partner for all your security needs.
- DeviceLock; Software that controls, manages and helps encrypt USB drives and other removable media. Get a free trial on their site, and be sure to let them know you heard about them on The Data Security Podcast.
Show Notes for Episode 86 of the Data Security Podcast
* Ira talks with Dr. Robert Morley about the unique digital fingerprints on every credit card and ATM magnetic strip, and how that fingerprint can fight card cloning fraud. Read about Dr. Morley. Dr. Morley’s work has been commercialized into products like MagnePrint, mentioned in the segment.
* Tales From The Dark Web: Ira gave his take on the reporting by Brian Krebs in the Security Fix blog at the Washington Post site.
* From Our Take on The News: Ira gave his take on the very interesting blog posting by Robert Graham entitled SkyGrabber vs. Predator .
* From Our Take on The News: Why did a department of health worker in Detroit have electronic copies of thousands of birth certificates in her car? That’s where the records were (on a flash drive) when they were stolen. We give our take on this story in the Detroit Free Press.
* From Out Take on The News: A program that allows Seattle Area employers to subsidize commuting — it saves employees a lot of money.Only problem is, your travel records are available to your boss. All he has to do is ask.
* The Wrap: A rubber stamp that renders printed personal information illegible (pictured) . Read more.